Last night I made dinner for my parents and I decided to make what I call spaghetti squash boats. They’re not 100% paleo because I do put cheese on the top, but they are absolutely delicious and much healthier than than normal spaghetti and meatballs! I paired them with lemony green beans (green beans + olive oil + lemon juice), which is one of my favorite side dishes.
My parents really loved the meal, which was nice. I’m always a bit nervous to cook for them because we have very different diets and I’m never sure how going outside of the box is going to go with them. Luckily, they are really easy to please and are always up for trying new things.
Plus, it was exciting because they’d never seen spaghetti squash before, so they were really surprised when I opened them up and they found this inside:
*Image from Steamy Kitchen
I got this recipe from the wonderful Alaska from Scratch blog.
- 2 spaghetti squash, cut in half, seeds removed
- olive oil
- about 16oz of spaghetti sauce (I was lazy and used store bought)
- 1 cup finely shredded mozarella
- 1 lb of meatballs
For the meatballs I combined the following ingredients, formed them into balls, and baked at 350 for about 20 minutes:
- 1 lb 90/10 ground beef
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- Italian seasoning blend (about 2 teaspoons)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, sprinkle spaghetti squash with olive oil, s&p, and place cut side down in baking dish then put in oven for 40 minutes while you prepare and bake the meatballs
- Increase temperature to 400 degrees, remove spaghetti squash from oven and fluff with a fork until to separate the spaghetti strands
- Place 2 meatballs in each boat, cover with mozarella and put back in oven for about 10 minutes or until sauce is warm and cheese is lovely and melted
Ta-da! It’s time to eat! I love this recipe because it’s really simple (especially if you have meatball and spaghetti squash on hand), it’s fun (your food gets to be a boat!), and it’s so yummy!